9 Tips for Better Home Security
Your home is one of your most valuable possessions and a place to feel safe. Home security is more than protecting your belongings - it’s protecting your family, too. By practicing these simple home security tips, you can help keep your family and your home secure.
- Change the locks: When moving into a new home change all locks. You never know who has keys or access to the old ones.
- Proof your roof: Make sure that the roof of your home is fire resistant.
- Never leave a note: If you cannot be home to meet a delivery, family member, etc., do not leave a note indicating that you are not home.
- Know your neighbors: Getting to know those in your area can aid in the protection of your home. Whenever you are traveling or expecting a delivery let your neighbors know so that they can be on the lookout for activity.
- Social media: Don’t post to social media that you are taking a vacation until after you have returned from vacation.
- Lighting counts: Outdoor motion sensitive lighting can alert you if someone were to be trespassing on your property and also deter thieves. Also, having indoors lights on a timer makes the house seem occupied even when you're not there.
- Landscaping: When you inspect your property, make sure there are no overgrown areas that would provide good hiding for would-be trespassers.
- Street numbers are important: Make sure your street number is clearly visible so you can be located easily in the case of an emergency.
- Install a home alarm system: This system will deter thieves and bring police to your home quickly should one make it inside.
Keeping your home and family safe doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. By using some of the simple tips listed above, your home can stay secure for years to come.