Tree Care and Maintenance
Trees are a great way to enhance your property and add shade but they need consistent care over time to ensure their continued health, proper conditions for growth and to prevent hazardous conditions that threaten surrounding property. Proper tree care and maintenance is the key to preventing loss and maximizing the value of your home.
Properly Caring for Your Trees:
- Maintain timely watering, proper fertilization and protection from soil compaction.
- Regularly prune dead or broken limbs to help trees maintain their structural integrity. Additionally, thin excess branches every three to five years.
- Resolve any tree pest problems as soon as you spot then to minimize any potential damage.
- Consider hiring a tree maintenance service to regularly maintain trees and shrubs.
Signs to Monitor:
Determining the health of a tree is complicated and should be done by an expert. Still, there are signs to monitor that will alert you to tree health problems.
- Branches hanging over your house, a neighboring homes or power lines
- Mushrooms growing from the bark
- Significant leaning toward one side
- Cracks in the trunk or major limbs
- Signs of hallowing and decay
Trees become stronger:
Tree care and maintenance contribute to the health and safety of your trees as well as the overall value of your property. With routine care:
- Tree care and maintenance improves the vitality of trees and helps them withstand storms, persistent pests and disease.
- Preventative maintenance is critical in protecting trees from declining health and protecting your property from potential damage.
Property values Increase:
- Keeping up with tree maintenance can help uphold and even enhance the value of your property and home.
- Well groomed trees add great curb appeal.
For more information on tree care and maintenance as well as how to select and plant, visit www.arborday.org/.